Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Bread, Butter, Cheese, VICTORY! The National Grilled Cheese Invitational

National Grilled Cheese Invitational

I'm walking through the Crystal Springs picnic area in Griffith Park. The intoxicating smell of butterfat and toast wafts through the air. Crowds of hungry cheese lovers cheer. It can only the the 1st 6th Annual National Grilled Cheese Invitational.


What other sandwich can drive a crowd into such a frenzy? As 140 competitors feverishly cook, cheese runners run the sandwiches to the onlookers who push each other out of the way and claw for the tasty delights.

Check out my Flickr photoset of this event.

National Grilled Cheese Invitational National Grilled Cheese Invitational

I'm lactose a little bit lactose intolerant, but still the temptation to stuff myself with the yummy sandwiches is overwhelming. Says NGCI founder Tim Walker: "I've never met somebody who hates a grilled cheese. I know people who are terribly lactose intolerant but who stuff themselves to bursting with grilled cheese. That's a sacrifice!" I think I might be one of those people.

3 comments:

Ginormous Boobs said...

This event was so much fun to compete in!

And our third place trophy sits lovingly in the kitchen.

Johann said...

Actually butter and cheese have little to no lactose, so grilled cheese is not a problem if you're lactose-intolerant.

Rick Andreoli said...

Cheese is such a great thing. I believe it could bring peace to many nations.

Wish I'd known about such an awesome event!